Better luck next time!

Well this week’s jewelry adventure was half successful, half a fail. My goal this week was to attempt a zigzag bracelet. I attempted and I sort of completed it, if that’s even possible.

Of course, inspired by my pinterest board, I saw a picture of a bracelet with tutorial pictures that I thought wouldn’t be too difficult for me to complete. (See below)

picture from: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/122863896067586931/

Let me share with you the things that added up to me feeling ‘less-successful’ this week:

  • Once I read the blog that the tutorial was attached to, I realized I was in for a struggle. The blog is half English, half something else (Greek maybe, I’m not too sure) regardless; I wasn’t going to be reading it.
  • I’m a bit of a cheap-o, I try and save money where I can all the time, so when I bought my supplies from Michael’s for this bracelet I bought what was on sale, knowing full well the sizes were not exactly what the blog had suggested. I wasn’t too concerned as I thought it would make my bracelet a little more personal and wouldn’t be much of an issue. Newsflash – this bracelet would have rocked had I purchased the proper sized chain, beads and thread!
  • Following only pictures on the blog (because I couldn’t read anything else, other than the supply list), I started to make my bracelet. My first big problem happened quickly – the thread was too thick for the beads. Oh well, easy fix, I have skinnier thread at home.
  • As soon as I started adding my rings to the bracelet it was not lining up well at all and was not looking smooth like the tutorial pictures. I had come to realize that the beads were too big in comparison to the chain links and therefore I was going to struggle getting the exact zigzag pattern I was going for. So, I ended using jump rings (I had at home for another project). However, even these rings were a little too small and the wrong shape.

  

Those were just a few hiccups I hit this week. While working on the bracelet I was constantly playing around with the strings, trying to tighten after each bead/ring was added. If I pulled tight enough and moved each bead to the side, it seemed to help get the zigzag pattern a little better. After a lot of re-starting, stopping and starting my bracelet was officially complete. I rate it a 5/10. It’s not bad by any means, but I don’t love it. Next time I’m going to “splurge” and get the proper sizes of all materials and hopefully I’ll achieve the bracelet I had in mind.

Next week I am scaling back my difficulty and I will be doing bracelets with just beads and charms – no fancy patterns.

 

Better luck next time. Onwards and upwards!

Nicole

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Better luck next time!

Add yours

  1. Hey Nicole! I think your bracelet looks AMAZING! That is so cool how you problem solved all of the problems occured, and I am with you 100% save money where you can. I think you had an exteremly successful week, because again, your bracelet is really nice! Goodluck with your plans for next week!

    Liked by 1 person

  2. Pingback: Nicole Aulie

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: